There's a very ancient saying
but pure and honest thought
that when you become a teacher
by your pupils you'll be taught!
In the last 3 years I have been privileged to join a book club from its beginning through my friends and work associates of the English department. Being the amazing teachers that they are, they have had the right love, patience, example, energy, encouragement and influence for one such student as myself .
You may not know that I have a natural talent for reading very well and with expression while thinking about anything and everything else, and then not be able to tell what I just read. Reading has also been a great way to fall asleep especially when I am not even trying. It is due to these natural talents that I never read the books that I was given in school.
You may wonder how I ever made it through to graduation...well I often wonder the same thing. It was through the examples of my parents that after High School I set out to seek knowledge line upon line. First by reading The Book of Mormon and then a book called Drawing on the Powers of Heaven. I found books about being your best self just in time for getting married and having children. With Children came a desire to understand how each individual is a genius with a personal path to find it within. I began to love reading side by side with our children everyday. What a great time to cuddle and enjoy being together. I wanted my children to grow up knowing how intelligent they were, and thus in our home we had the "smart room".
At Heritage I found myself being drawn to those with a thirst for reading good books and a quest for knowledge. I had not yet realized how much you could learn from reading a novel and reading a book was never something I did just for fun. It has been such a wonderful experience to be among these ladies and explore great books for enjoyment, as well as learning.
Here are some of the books I have enjoyed reading:
Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk (first DBC book -intense read.)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
The Help by Kathryn
These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner. (My favorite book so far!)
Sarah's Quilt by Nancy E. Turner
The Star Garden by Nancy E. Turner
The Anatomy of Peace by The Arbinger Institute.
Leadership and Self Deception by The Arbinger Institute
The Seven Paths of the Anasazi Way by Anasazi Foundation
Holding Fast by Robert Millet
Talking With God by Robert Millet
The Emotion Code by Bradley Nelson
Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington
Life Lessons for Mastering the Law of Attraction by Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen
Feelings Buried Alive Never Die by Karol K Truman
Healing Feelings From Your Heart by Karol K. Truman
Our next adventure is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte before our year retreat in September.
On Thursday and we met at the Charleston Restaurant where we met for our first book club meeting. Upon arrival I noticed all the ladies had a gift bag and at the end of our dinner they all brought forth these very thoughtful presents. Each one had chosen one of their favorite novels to share with me as we move to Utah. My heart is so full of love and appreciation for each member. Each one of them with such strengths and individuality. Each one of them with a story of their own to tell. Each one an example of righteousness. Each one I have learned from and each one of them I consider a very dear friend. Teacher, and pupil have all learned so much about being a part of each other.
On my desk I now have so much to see, to learn and to understand. Years of reading to make up for. Many books yet to be read. I will miss working with such amazing women, but it is comforting to know that near or far I can still be a member of our DBC. Most importantly we will always be true friends and kindred spirits.
From the depths of my heart ladies...
I Love You
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
No comments:
Post a Comment